HESLERTON SPORTS CLUB

Club History Gallery building

Heslerton Sports Club was established in 1947 as custodians of the sports field which up to the commencement of World War 2 offered facilities for both cricket and football. The field was apart of the West Heslerton Estate whom offered the land for sporting activity for the local inhabitants. The predominant sport, at the time, was cricket, with the club being established in 1886, having played in a number of fields on the estate finally settled on the present site at the turn of the century. A football club was also established in 1925. The cricket club has evolved as one of the most successful in the Scarborough Beckett Cricket League, whom administer cricket in this area of North Yorkshire. After the war years a grass court tennis club was established, proving very popular at that time but due to a diminishing number of players was disbanded in 1965.A team of interested local ladies formed a ladies cricket club during 1974, which after a time flourished, winning numerous competitions, before a reduction in ladies cricket locally brought an end to the club in the year 2000. The need to replace an old wooden pavilion led to a 99 year lease, on the sports field, being agreed in 1978, illustrating the support extended to the club by the Dawnay family, who are the owners of the West Heslerton Estate.

A flat green bowling green was developed and club formed in 1987, being the latest affiliate to the Sports Club providing sport for players of more mature years but also encouraging younger involvement. Currently the leading two sports, cricket and football, continue to flourish; both being richly endowed with junior players. The cricket club receive the expertise of two qualified coaches who coach up to 50 juniors under 16 years of age helping to maintain 2 senior cricket teams, 2 evening league teams and two junior teams. The football club similarly coach over 50 junior players under 15 years of age and support 3 senior football teams and 4 junior teams. Potential within the club is now at an all time high and must meet the expectations of players, parents, local leagues, governing bodies and above all the “Child Welfare & Protection Policy”, hence our absolute need to replace the current outdated 2 changing room pavilion with a modern 4 changing room facility. The success of the venture will not only help maintain the momentum within our affiliated clubs but encourage more participation in sport to the ultimate benefit of the locality and satisfy the clubs ambitions over future decades. Heslerton Sports Club continues to look to the future, as any successful club must, with plans approved by Ryedale District Council for the addition of two tennis courts, 5-a-side and netball facilities and the erection of additional floodlighting.

The Club gained a commendation in the North Yorkshire East 2007 Village Ventures competition in recognition of outstanding achievements for the benefit of rural life in North Yorkshire.


BRIEF HISTORY, DEVELOPMENT AND FUTURE AIMS

Project Manager, Steve Milner and Chairman, John Crossland receive the award

Home